What is Eco Tourism
Ecotourism is defined as “responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment, sustains the well-being of the local people, and involves interpretation and education” Education is meant to be inclusive of both staff and guests. Ecotourism is the respect for the local communities and the empowerment of their cultures and ideologies. It is at the same time, the preservation of their norms, homes and habitats.
Diamante Eco Adventure Park goal is to provide extraordinary eco-adventure experiences in Costa Rica and to enable people to enjoy and learn about the flora, fauna, and cultural heritage of our incredible country by minimizing the negative aspects of conventional tourism on the environment and enhance the cultural integrity of local people.
Diamante’s efforts to create Sustainable Experiences:
- We hire local people our staff is 98% Costa Ricans across all our operations.
- We buy most of our supplies locally.
- We have water and electricity saving programs.
- We properly handle the waste we produce.
- We apply the 7 R’s Rethink, Refuse, Reduce, Repurpose, Reuse, Recycle and Rot in our “Diamante Recicla” program.
- We offer our customers and staff the opportunity to participate in Diamantes conservation and community programs.
- We continuously train our staff.
- We developed environmental education program for local schools (Diamante Educa).
- We have the Tourism Sustainability Certificate (CST) – 3 leaves.
- We have achieved 5 starts of the Blue Flag Ecological Program for our beach for the past 5 years. Only beaches with a 90% score succeed in acquiring a distinction and receiving the Blue Flag.
- We pay Eco marchamos for the carbon offset produced by our transportation units.
- We incorporate conservation, protection, and community support into our daily business practices.
Sustainability Policy Statement
Diamante Eco Adventure Park is committed to promoting sustainability. Concern for the environment and promoting a broader sustainability agenda are integral to Diamante Eco Adventure Park activities and the management of the organisation. We aim to follow and to promote good sustainability practices, to reduce the environmental impacts of all our activities and to help our employees and guest to do the same.
Our Sustainability Policy is based upon the following principles:
- To comply with all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
- To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To minimise the impact on sustainability of all office and transportation activities.
- To make clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy, and encourage them to adopt sustainable management practices.
- To review, annually report, and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
To put these principles into practice, we will:
- Align with UN Sustainable Development Goals as far as possible to improve human lives and protect the environment
- Pursue the highest rank on CST certification and ensure the proper use of our natural and cultural resources, improvement of the quality of life of local communities and economic success. We currently have 3 leaves ranking.
- Continue to certificate our beach with the ecological Blue Flag “Bandera Azul Ecologica” – We have obtained 5 Start ranking for the past 4 years.
- As far as possible arrange for the reuse or recycling of waste produced at Diamante Eco Adventure Park.
- Reduce the energy consumption by turning off the electronics when they’re not being used, replace all lights bulbs with low energy LED bulbs, purchase energy efficient equipments, and schedule maintenance controls.
- Reduce the water consumption by purchasing water efficient equipments and by developing irrigation water-saving programs.
- Reduce the fuel consumption by running our transportation with a schedule. All of our vehicles have Eco Marchamos.
- Undertake voluntary work with the local community and schools trough our programs to educate about recycling, reforestation, and the environment.
- Ensure that any Subcontractors or Suppliers we employ are aware and align with our sustainable policy.
Sustainable Tourism Certificate
The Certification of Sustainable Tourism (CST) is a Costa Rican program intended to balance three basic factors within the tourism industry. These factors include the company’s interaction with natural and cultural resources, the improvement of quality of life within local communities and economic contribution to other programs of national development.
The CST program has the intent to educate both tourism and non tourism companies in Costa Rica to embrace a long term perspective on the protection and maintenance of the most valuable resources of Costa Rica; the health of the environment, the health of the Costa Rican citizens and the health of communities within the country.
The goals of the CST program are to turn the concept of sustainability into something real and practical for both the companies providing services within Costa Rica and for visitors wishing to participate and support sustainable tourism practices by choosing the companies that have adopted sustainable practices.
What are the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s)
The Sustainable Development Goals are a collection of 17 global goals designed to be a “blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all”. The SDGs, set in 2015 by the United Nations General Assembly and intended to be achieved by the year 2030.
|Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
|Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
|Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
|Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
|Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
|Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
|Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
|Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
|Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
|Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
|Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
|Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
|Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
|Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
|Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems,
|Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development,
|Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development